CHERVIL FRESH PERIFOLLO
Chervil is a feathery, fern-like herb and a member of the carrot family, Umbelliferae. This family of herbs is classified by aromatic plants with hollow stems. Chervil clearly qualifies as a sensory herb with aromatics of anise and parsley with equivalent nuances of flavors that warm the palate.
Once chervil plants mature, they produce small, white, edible flowers that resemble the shape of an umbrella.
Chervil is an indispensable herb in the French kitchen. It is known as one of the fine herbs, along with tarragon, chives, and parsley. Its prolific hardiness and easiness to grow to make it a great annual to plant in any garden. There are several names for fresh chervil, including Sicily, French parsley, and cerfeuil.
Chervil pairs well with eggs, fish, asparagus, potatoes, light sauces and vinegar based-sauces. Process fresh chervil with garlic, pecorino, toasted pine and olive oil into pesto and toss with hot pasta. Blanche diced potatoes and dress them with the vinaigrette while warm, cool to room temperature and toss with chopped chervil. Add minced chervil and shallots to olive oil and vinegar, then whisk to combine and toss with baby lettuce, asparagus, and almonds. Chervil will keep, dry and refrigerated, for up to a week.
Is native to the Caucasus region of Eastern Europe and was spread throughout Europe by the Romans. It was once referred to as “myrris” because of the volatile oils extracted from its leaves bear the same intense aromas of the biblical substance, myrrh.
Chervil nutrition facts
Garden Chervil is one of the fines herbs play a pivotal role in the Mediterranean, especially French cuisine. Its myrrh-scented, flavorful leaves and stems compose several important chemicals having medicinal values. This parsley family herb perhaps originated in the mountainous Southern Russia and Caucasus regions and spread across the Anatolia and Europe through the Romans.
Binomially, chervil is a common plant genus of the family Apiaceae.
Scientific name: Anthriscus cerefolium. Some of the common names are Garden Chervil, French Parsley, Sweet Cicely, etc.
Is a small, annual herb growing to a height of 15 inches? Its anise-scented lacy, fern-like, light green leaves resemble that of carrot tops. The plant prefers fertile, well-drained soil to flourish. During the early summer, its white bloom appears in tiny umbels as in dill.
Chervil classified into four main varieties
- Garden chervil- plain or curly.
- Root chervil (Chaerophyllum bulbosum)- Cultivated for its tapering, parsnip-like root, which used as a vegetable.
- Wild chervil or cow parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris), and
- Bur chervil
Garden chervil is the most common type grown in the backyards. Its leaves possess subtle, slightly aniseed-like flavor.
Health benefits of Chervil
- Fresh chervil, like parsley, is one of the low calorific herbs. Nonetheless, its leaves and stems feature exceedingly high amounts of anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber.
- Is being a close member of parsley family of herbs, contains similar health benefiting essential volatile oils like methyl-eugenol (1-allyl-2,4-dimethoxybenzene).
- Eugenol has anti-septic actions. It has therapeutic application in dentistry as a local anesthetic and antiseptic agent for teeth and gum diseases. Eugenol has also been found to reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics; however, further detailed studies required to establish its role.
- Is the of the herb along with parsley, tarragon that is rich in poly-phenolic flavonoid antioxidants, including apigenin. Research studies suggest that apigenin works as neuro-protector and may prevent Alzheimer’s disease patients through limiting neuronal damage in their brain. It has also found to have cancer-protective functions as well.
- The dried herb is one of the finest source of minerals like potassium, (4740 mg/100 g) calcium, zinc, manganese, iron, and magnesium. Potassium is an important electrolyte inside cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure by countering pressing effects of sodium. Iron is essential for the production of heme, which is an important oxygen-carrying component inside the red blood cells. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
- Furthermore, the herb is also rich in many antioxidant vitamins, including vitamin-A,vitamin-C, vitamin-E, and phenolic anti-oxidants like zeaxanthin, lutein, and cryptoxanthin.
- The fresh garden holds many essential vitamins such as riboflavin (vitamin B-2), niacin (vitamin B-3), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins play a vital role in carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism by acting as co-enzymes inside the human body.
Dried leaves of this herb compose:
- 69% of folates
- 83% of vitamin C
- 195% of vitamin A
- 71% of Pyridoxine
- 134% of calcium
- 399% of iron
- 80% zinc.
(Note: the values are in % of RDA per 100 g (RDA-Recommended daily allowance)
Selection and storage
Fresh chervil can be available year round in the farmer markets. Dried leaves can easily be found in the spice section in packets, air-sealed bottles, etc. and sometimes as a “fines herbes” mixture. If you are growing them in your backyard, its leaves are ready for harvesting within about six to eight weeks after sowing the seeds. Gather its leaves before the plant begins showing flowers.
In the farmer markets, buy fine, light-green, fresh leaves and firm stems. Avoid wilted, spots, sunken yellow leaves.
Use fresh leaves in the cooking. If you are growing any in your backyard, gather its fresh leaves as needed. Is very fragile but stores well kept in the refrigerator wrapped in a damp paper towel. Dried herb can store well for few months when kept in a sealed glass container and placed in cool, dark and dry place.
Preparation and serving methods
Fresh leaves and tender stems can be used in the cooking. Wash in cold water and dry mop using a soft towel. Finely chop using a paring knife. Its leaves lose flavor on prolonged cooking, so it should be added at the end of cooking or sprinkled on salads, dishes as parsley, and leaf-cilantro.
Here are some serving tips:
- Subtle, slightly aniseed tinge enhances the flavor of dishes it added to.
- The herb is widely used as a garnish. Many dishes are served with fresh green chopped chervil, parsley sprinkled on top.
- Chervil along with parsley, tarragon, and thyme is one of the items in classical green sauce, sauce verte.
- Chimichurri is an Argentinian green sauce made from finely chopped chervil, parsley, minced garlic, tarragon, spring onions, olive oil, and vinegar. Its leaves have been used in the preparation of vegetable, chicken, fish and meat dishes.
- It is one of the common ingredients infamous Mediterranean green sauce, “salsa verde”, a cold sauce made of parsley, capers, garlic, onion, anchovies, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Freshly chopped parsley is a great addition to a green salad.
- Fresh and dry parsley leaves can be used in the preparation of chutney, dips, pesto, etc.
- Chervil’s essential oil chemicals found to have antiseptic and anti-fungal applications.
- In many traditional medicines, chervil herb parts found application as an expectorant, stimulant, diuretic (excess urine output) and may help relieve indigestion and high blood pressure symptoms.
- Do not collect chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris) from the wild as it features similar plant morphology to poison hemlock, or fool’s parsley (Aethusa cynapium) and water dropwort.
- Chervil oil may cause dermatitis in some sensitive individuals.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Product: Fresh Green Burro Banana $0.69-pound | ($0.03/oz) Reg.$5.70 lb There is approximately 8 oz wt.… Product: Fresh Maguey Leaves, Barbacoa Well Grill Lamb Borrego | 7 Pencas pack $4.99-pound | ($0.31/oz)… Product: Fresh Corn Smut Huitlacoche | Seasonal Item $9.99-pound | ($0.64/oz) | SAVE 25% Now! (discount valid thru… Product: Fresh Avocado Chiapas $1.99-pound | ($0.12/oz) Reg.$8.87 lb There are approximately 16 oz wt. per… Product: Fresh Kiwi Fruit $1.85-pound | ($0.11/oz) Reg.$4.70 lb There is approximately 4 oz wt.… Product: Fresh Sugar Cane 8 inches stalks | Green $1.99-pound | ($0.12/oz) Reg.$5.99 pound There is… Product: Fresh Avocado Leaves Kilaguacate $4.44-pound | ($0.25/oz) | SAVE 25% Now! Reg.$49.73 lb There is approximately… Product: Fresh Cauliflower White $1.10-pound | ($0.06/oz) Reg. $4.53 lb There are approximately 16 oz wt.… Product: Fresh Exotic Mexican Pitaya | White, Red, Yellow, Orange or Purple Pitaya Fruit | Seasonal Item $3.49-pound… Product: Fresh Fitweed Culantro Recao $5.10-pound | ($0.35/oz) Reg.$9.16 lb There is approximately 4 oz wt. per bunch.…
Product: Fresh Green Burro Banana $0.69-pound | ($0.03/oz) Reg.$5.70 lb There is approximately 8 oz wt.…
Product: Fresh Maguey Leaves, Barbacoa Well Grill Lamb Borrego | 7 Pencas pack $4.99-pound | ($0.31/oz)…
Product: Fresh Corn Smut Huitlacoche | Seasonal Item $9.99-pound | ($0.64/oz) | SAVE 25% Now! (discount valid thru…
Product: Fresh Avocado Chiapas $1.99-pound | ($0.12/oz) Reg.$8.87 lb There are approximately 16 oz wt. per…
Product: Fresh Kiwi Fruit $1.85-pound | ($0.11/oz) Reg.$4.70 lb There is approximately 4 oz wt.…
Product: Fresh Sugar Cane 8 inches stalks | Green $1.99-pound | ($0.12/oz) Reg.$5.99 pound There is…
Product: Fresh Avocado Leaves Kilaguacate $4.44-pound | ($0.25/oz) | SAVE 25% Now! Reg.$49.73 lb There is approximately…
Product: Fresh Cauliflower White $1.10-pound | ($0.06/oz) Reg. $4.53 lb There are approximately 16 oz wt.…
Product: Fresh Exotic Mexican Pitaya | White, Red, Yellow, Orange or Purple Pitaya Fruit | Seasonal Item $3.49-pound…
Product: Fresh Fitweed Culantro Recao $5.10-pound | ($0.35/oz) Reg.$9.16 lb There is approximately 4 oz wt. per bunch.…
Vacuum packing is a method of packaging that removes air from the package prior to sealing. Shrink film is sometimes used to have a tight fit to the contents. Vacuum packing reduces atmospheric oxygen, limiting the growth of aerobic bacteria or fungi, and preventing the evaporation of volatile components.
- Unit Type: Piece
- Carton Box
- Package Weight: 4 lbs
- Package Size: 13.11in x 12.67in x 3.93in